Saturday, June 17, 2006

Read Your Nutrition Facts!!!


When keeping track of your caloric intake from fats, carbohydrates, and protein, it is important that you read the nutrition facts label. You wouldn't want to eat a full size bag of Fritos BBQ flavored corn chips, because if you did, you would be consuming 10 times the calories of a single serving(150 calories), and if you are by chance on a 1500 calorie a day diet, this full size bag of chips would be it for the day. Now you wouldn't want that, would you? I didn't think so. Don't get me wrong, you can still have your Frito Lays, but you may want to stick to 1 serving, which is 29 chips. Once you understand how to read nutrition facts labeling, you will be able to do a better job planning your meals. For instance, almost every morning I have 2 boiled eggs minus the yolks, 3/4 cups of Total cereal with a 1/2 cup of fat free skim milk, and a medium size orange. That's an average of 235 calories. Now lets say I kept the yolks, doubled my cereal and milk serving, and had a large orange. My caloric intake would then be 520 calories. See what I mean? Now that you understand the importance of reading those handy dandy nutrition facts, the next time you sit down to plan your next meal, you will make better choices.


For more information on understanding Nutrition Facts labeling, go to http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/vitlabel.html



Stay Updated! Subscribe to my blog!

No comments: